We are moving forward…
The continuous and progressive improvement has been always the philosophy of the people working in our family. Today, we want to inform you that Bosque del Mar has begin the process of Certification in Sustainable Tourism (CST), promoted by Costa Rican Tourism Institute among the companies in the country.
This categorization is intended to encourage the development of a better standard in sustainable practices. That is, committed owners, management and other staff to change their attitude, an awareness of environmental, social and economic issues to achieve a responsible and sustainable model.
For this process, Bosque del Mar held a Sustainability Committed which voluntarily works with Management to ensure correct implementation of appropriated practices in our operation as a hotel and more importantly tries to convey these ideas to the surrounding communities through education and example.
- In your hotel, practice “the delay in change of towels and sheets”. This contributes to water saving and less pollution from detergents, bleach and energy amount other items.
- Prefer to buy local crafts or products, from family or micro rural business, etc. And support the economy in areas with difficult development doing this you save money by avoiding the middleman.
- Consume water in reusable bottles that you can refill constantly, avoid the use of items or packages that are disposable.
- Plan well your route of travel, check your vehicle and drive properly. Respect the traffic signs to achieve fuel saving and your welfare on the road.
- Remember to turn off the lights, air conditioning and fan when you leave the room. Electrical and electronic devices must be disconnected when are not in use otherwise they will continue consuming energy if they are connected.
- Visit cultural activities in the area, share the recreational activities with the locals and search about tours in new and rare places. We have a board with info available in the restaurant. Experience something different!
- Do not buy, sell or trade any archaeological items or any wildlife. Denounce these illegal activities.
- Get used to carry a litter bag in your vehicle. Many sites now have containers to separate your garbage, help to reuse and recycling. In hotel’s property we have three units of containers to separate your garbage.
- Feel free to express your unconformities and comments to any place you visit. To every company is very important to know the opinion of the client about their product or service. This is a great contribution to the culture of customer service that is being developed in this country.
- Prefer to visit hotels and establishments involved in programs or projects of social assistance and environmental protection as the Code of Conduct Paniamor, Blue Ecological Flag, CST, etc. So you will be a costumer but also become a collaborator of such practices.
- Avoid changing the order of nature by subtracting the forest plants, seashells from the beach or feeding wild animals.
- As many other countries, you may find a homeless person asking for money in some towns. If you really want to help, do not give them money, instead you can offer food or donate cash to a social assistance organization recommended by your hotel or travel agency.
You can also help!
As our guest of business or leisure traveler, if you want you can also implement these simple and sustainable practices that will be of great benefit to all.
- We are pioneers in the area due our water treatment plant, which process all the water hotel uses and returns treated around 70% of it, to be used in to water the gardens and to fill toilet tanks.
- Our housekeeping department has a system to “delay the change of towels and sheets“and save water and energy, the information about how this works is the bathroom of your room.
- All the printing and writing paper that is consumed in the hotel, is classified to reuse in note blocks or delivered to the collector centers.
- There is a project in process for better managing of the waste water.
- We cooperate permanently in our area in projects related with shelters for abandoned children, indigents and a rehabilitation center for drug addicts among other causes.
- We maintain a constant training program of our staff.
- We perform preventive maintenance of the electrical installations and equipment, in addition to the regular review of the pipeline.
- We place a directory of services in each room so that our guest has enough information during their stay.
- During all building process and furniture, we only use legal wood species.
- We achieved up to 90% decline in the use of chlorine, chemicals and other cleaning supplies were replaced by organic and biodegradable ones.
- The vast majority of our suppliers have signed a letter of commitment to adopt or enhance sustainable practices in their business.
- The use of disposable crockery and plastic packaging is almost zero and all the garbage bags used in the hotel are biodegradable (D2W).
- Starting soon, all the bottled water that we sell will be made of biodegradable (D2W) plastic.
- As a company, we fulfilled all the obligations established by law in terms of social care, wages, insurance and other requirements.
- We are affiliated to the Costarican Code of Conduct to prevent sexual exploitation of children in tourism activities.
- Our regular analysis of drinkable water certifies the quality for human consumption.
- We use fluorescent bulbs with low energy consumption in most of the lighting systems.
- We have Smart Electric System to save energy in each room that turn off lights and A/C every time the guest leaves the suite.
- All suites have hot water bathrooms thanks to solar panels.
- Design in each building has been based on maximum natural light use and location of trees in property has been respected trying to adapt structures to tree shapes instead the opposite.
- Around 95% of our staff residence is in hotel´s area. This way we support local development and reduce costs for transportation and fuel vehicles contamination.